Housing & Urban Development
The City of Plaquemine Section 8 rental assistance program increases affordable housing choices for low income households by allowing families to rent privately-owned homes. Unlike the public housing program, which subsidizes the construction and operation of housing development, the Section 8 program supplements what individuals can afford to pay for housing in the private market. This approach allows recipients to choose moderately priced housing based on the type and locale that best meets their needs.
Units & Eligibility
Eligible families must select units that meet the City of Plaquemine Section 8 quality standards and the "reasonable” rent guidelines. If City of Plaquemine Section 8 approves the selection, then City of Plaquemine Section 8 contracts with the owner to make rent subsidy payments on behalf of the family. The City of Plaquemine Section 8 has the right to reject a lease if the property does not meet the quality standards or the rent is considered unreasonable. Under the Section 8 program, tenants are responsible for the total cost of utilities, rent deposit, and service connection fees.
Tenant-based vouchers are available. Under the tenant-based voucher program, the Plaquemine Section 8 Office issues an eligible family a voucher and the family selects a home of choice. If the family moves out of the home, the contract with the owner ends and the family can move with continued assistance to another home.
Section 8 Application Process
- Applicants must be able to present positive identification (driver’s license, state I.D., valid employment verification with a picture).
- Applicants are placed on waiting lists according to application date and time and receipt of application. The waiting list is usually 12 to 18 months.
- As applicants move closer to the top of the waiting list, an eligibility appointment will be made.
Section 8 Screening Process
- Applicants are screened for drug-related criminal activity.
- Applicants are screened for alcohol and/or criminal-related activity.
- Applicants are screened for criminal activity that could pose a threat to the peaceful enjoyment of other residents on the property.
Section 8 Documentation Necessary for Eligibility
- Birth certificate (for each family member who will be on the lease)
- Social Security card (for each family member who will be on the lease)
- Verification of income
- Valid declaration of legal immigration status (if necessary)
- Other documentation deemed necessary for eligibility